Mozilla Metaverse Is Beating Google At Its Own Game
Can speed beat quality? Sometimes maybe yes, and it is on this terrain that many companies are racing to do better than others in the Metaverse. First of all Meta… at the moment hasn’t had any economic returns.
If virtual reality were to take off it would have a huge advantage over all the others. It is here on the same intuition that Mozilla is moving, the company that created the browser for browsing Firefox.
It did not do it alone, it acquired another company that will take care of developing this virtual world for them.
Let’s take it step by step.
HOW WAS MOZILLA BORN?
The search engine was founded in 1998 by Netscape and other programmers and soon became one of the most popular open-source projects. This is a shared software approach where the source code is freely available to anyone who wants to contribute to the project.
Mozilla has made surfing the Internet safer and faster, providing a better user experience. The project has built a community of developers who have helped grow the popularity of the product.
It is clear that behind this company there are very intelligent minds capable of reading digital reality.
MOZILLA’S 3D PROJECT
Everything came out in an announcement made by the company itself.
– The acquisition of Active Replica, a Canadian startup that builds Homeroom, a metaverse accessible directly from the web.
– Mozilla would like to create a tool to communicate and collaborate for virtual meetings and events.
– According to manager Imo Udom, Active Replica will support Mozilla’s work with Hubs, the open-source virtual reality chat room service, i.e. the improvement of which is open to the developer community.
– The Active Replica team will look to create personalized services, improve the communication experience, and introduce new ways of interaction.
“Together, we see this as a key opportunity to bring even more innovation and creativity to the Hubs than we could do alone,” Udom said in a blog post.
“We will benefit from their unique expertise and ability to create extraordinary experiences that help organizations use virtual spaces to generate impact.”
– A specific device is not required to visit and create Hubs rooms since access is possible from most modern browsers, mobile devices, computers, and viewers currently on the market.
– Active Replica was founded in 2020 by Jacob Ervin and Valerian Denis. The first is a software engineer, already active in the startups Metaio, Liminal Ar, and Occipital. Denis has worked for VR companies including BackLight which specializes in immersive experiences.
GOOGLE AND THE METAVERSE
Google didn’t stand by. It certainly hasn’t created its own three-dimensional environment, but the team’s brainiacs are closely watching what’s going on.
– Google X Labs (also called Google X or “X”,) is an advanced research laboratory managed by Alphabet, the owner of Google.
– Here futuristic projects are studied, including contact lenses that monitor the eyes, neural artificial intelligence systems for visual recognition and computer vision, and other materials that could prove useful in providing those “virtual” and “immersive” elements necessary for transforming the web into a three-dimensional world, to which Google Labs is aiming.
In addition, Google has also launched the hardware part for the Metaverse.
In fact, a few months ago it made it known that they bought Raxium: a startup specializing in the development of single-panel MicroLED display technologies.
– Raxium is headquartered in Fremont, California. After the acquisition, employees will join Google’s Devices & Services team.
– Its know-how could be fundamental for the creation of a new generation of augmented, virtual and mixed reality viewers where the quality and definition of the images will play a key role.
“The Raxium team spent five years creating miniaturized, cost-effective, and energy-efficient high-resolution displays that laid the foundation for future display technologies.”
“Raxium’s technical expertise in this area will play a key role as we continue to invest in our hardware efforts.”
Just to give an example: a traditional super AMOLED screen has a pixel pitch (the distance between the center of a pixel and the center of another nearby pixel) of about 50 microns.
Raxium’s MicroLED technology would be able to reduce this distance to about 3.5 microns and be much more energy efficient.
THE ADVANTAGE OF CREATING YOUR OWN METAVERSE, LIKE META
Mozilla decided to develop a platform that allows users to access and create virtual spaces.
The company’s goal is to provide “an accessible and shareable 3D environment in which to connect, play together, and explore new ideas.”
Meta (Facebook) is also building its own parallel digital space.
There are major advantages to owning a metaverse:
– First, there is control over what you have on an external platform. This means that organizations can set rules of conduct for their users within their own virtual space and ensure its safety;
It’s like being the owner of a social network today, which is what Elon Musk did with Twitter.
– Another advantage is that of customization: some features are not available on external platforms such as the creation of customized rooms/areas dedicated to specific groups or events.
– Metaverse owners can also modify the graphics and interfaces to make them more intuitive and attractive;
– Finally, there is the economic aspect. By improving the user experience, it is possible to generate loyalty of the same which could lead to promotional, advertising, or commercial revenues.
This is exactly what Facebook and Mozilla are trying to do by creating their own metaverses.
-There is a greater opportunity to make profits: a virtual environment that belongs totally to a company can be utilized much better than when using third-party platforms.
The organization that owns Metaverse can decide how to monetize its creations without any restrictions imposed by a third-party service.
There will no longer be a monopolization of channels, as is the case today with TVs, newspapers, and social networks. If you count the social networks, the most important ones are less than 10.
With the Metaverse, we will have something similar to a state, or a continent, where everyone has their own regions, cities, and so on. Each locality has its own traffic of citizens (users) and a local, regional, and state economy are created.
That’s why creating your own city or region is for farsighted entrepreneurs. Companies like Mozilla will also have to be good at creating immersive experiences, qualities, and internal services, worthy of a good share of the public.
Otherwise, their world could become a ghost town and ceases to exist.
Get advanced news and advice from the first site in the world that helps you make money in the Metaverse: https://vestvers.com/
Subscribe to our Telegram channel to stay updated on financial news specific to the Metaverse: https://t.me/vestvers